Muir & Associates Paralegal Services


Divorce filing can be an emotionally and financially draining experience. In addition to all the issues involved in dividing your property, you may also need to worry about childcare, living arrangements, and the difficulties of starting over.

An Uncontested Divorce Is Easier And More Cost-Effective​

But there is a simpler, less-complicated, and cost-effective way to handle your divorce without a lawyer. If you and your spouse are on friendly terms, or can at least negotiate how to split up your property and handle issues related to your children, then you can pursue an “uncontested divorce.”

Uncontested divorce agreements are the least expensive way to dissolve your marriage . This can enable you to quickly get back on your feet and to put that money towards your new life. Uncontested divorces are also more private, lowering your stress levels and helping both of you move on.

Prices may vary depending on your situation, but they will be a fraction of what you would be forced to spend on a divorce lawyer.

In fact, most of our clients never even have to go to court at all! We will complete all of the necessary steps in your case, and we get the great majority of cases settled before the six months and one day waiting period has passed.

We will fill out the following forms:

  • Petition for Dissolution of Marriage (or Legal Separation)
  • Response to Petition for Dissolution of Marriage
  • Income and Expense Declaration
  • Schedule of Assets sand Debts
  • Marital Settlement or Agreement
  • Judgment on Dissolution of Marriage
  • Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) for division and disbursement of pension of benefit to a spouse following the dissolution of marriage.


Legal Separation

A legal separation allows a couple to live separately but remain married. During a period of legal separation, neither spouse may remarry or enter a domestic partnership. The procedure for legal separation in California is very similar to that of divorce.

Child Custody & Visitation

If you cannot come to agreements regarding the custody and visitation of your children, you will be required to go through a court-ordered mediation. We can prepare the paperwork for that process.

If you are in agreement about custody and visitation we can prepare the paperwork to get a court order or modify an existing one.


Spousal Support

We can assist with the preparation of documents to request spousal support, or to modify an existing order.

Child Support

A payment that a noncustodial parent makes as a contribution to the costs of raising her or his child. The child support is based on the parent’s income, the amount of time a child spends with that parent, and the calculation is derived from a computer program called a disso-master.

We Will Help You Every Step Of The Way

Domestic Partnership

A domestic partnership is established in California when both persons file a Declaration of Domestic Partnership with the Secretary of State, and at the time of filing, all of the following requirements are met:

  • Both persons have a common residence.
  • Neither person is married to someone else or is a member of another domestic partnership with someone else that has not been terminated, dissolved, or adjudged a nullity.
  • The two persons are not related by blood in a way that would prevent them from being married to each other in this State.
  • Both persons are at least 18 years of age.
  • Either of the following:
    • Both persons are members of the same sex.
    • One or both of the persons is/are over the age of 62 and meet the eligibility criteria under Title II of the Social Security Act as defined in 42 U.S.C. Section 402(a) for old-age insurance benefits or Title XVI of the Social Security Act as defined in 42 U.S.C. Section 1381 for aged individuals.
  • Both persons are capable of consenting to the domestic partnership.


The adopting person and the person to be adopted may file in the Superior Court a petition for approval of the agreement of adoption by the issuance of a decree of adoption.

At the hearing, the court shall examine the parties. If the court is satisfied that the adoption will be for the best interests of the parties and in the public interest and that there is no reason why the petition should not be granted, the court shall approve the agreement of adoption, and enter a decree of adoption declaring that the person adopted is the child of the person adopting him.


Legal Guardianship

Legal guardianship is a status that allows a person, such as a grandparent, to care for a minor child and make decisions on her behalf. The laws governing guardianships vary between states, but in most jurisdictions, you need a file a petition with the court to obtain legal guardianship of your minor grandchild.


Termination of Parental Rights

If the other parent of your child failed to be involved in your child’s life either through lack of visitation or financial support? Or maybe the parents of the child you have been caring for have not exercised their parental rights for more than six (6) months. If one of the parents has abandoned their child, we can help you terminate their rights.


Change Of Orders​

A change of orders, also known as a notice of motion, is a request submitted to the court that asks for a change or modification to be made to an existing court order. In cases of divorce, for instance, a notice of motion will often be filed by a parent or guardian seeking to change the terms of child support, child custody, or visitation rights. A notice of motion may also be filed to ask the court to change the terms of spousal support or to set aside a default judgment.

When you file a notice of motion, you will need to inform the court why you want to change an existing order. The court will also want to know how your circumstances have changed since the initial order was granted. Therefore, you will have to provide the court with a declaration that explains and supports your request. In most cases, you do not need to hire an attorney for this.


Qualified Domestic Relations Order - The division of retirement benefits within a marriage.


We have a notary on Staff that can handle all of your notary needs.

Restraining Orders​

A restraining order (also called a “protective order” or injunction) is a court order that can protect someone from being physically or sexually abused, threatened, stalked, or harassed. They can be a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) or a permanent order. The person getting the restraining order is called the “protected person.” The person the restraining order is against is the “restrained person.” Sometimes, restraining orders include other “protected persons” like family or household members of the protected person. There are various types of restraining orders that can be placed by the Court. Among them are restraining orders for Domestic Violence, Elder or Dependent Adult Abuse, Civil Harassment, and Workplace Violence. If you believe that a restraining order is invalid, based on false information, or improperly served, you should contact an attorney who can advise you on how to proceed without being in violation of the restraining order.

Process Serving​

We have registered process servers we can serve your documents in an expeditious manner. The fee may vary depending on the city we are traveling to.

Eviction Notice Only

An eviction notice is for non-payment of rent, the tenant must be able to establish that they do not owe the rent the landlord is trying to collect. There are also 30-day and 60-day move-out notices to vacate rented property.


We have a referral for an experienced Bankruptcy Attorney who is low-cost.

speak with us today